High blood sugar can take a toll on the entire body. So, how do you take care of your teeth if you have diabetes? Well, prevention is key and ensuring that you maintain healthy oral care habits will create a much brighter future for your oral and overall health. Additionally, regardless of whether you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes, you will want to maintain a healthy blood sugar level because high blood sugar can lead to a large amount of problems including cavities, gingivitis and periodontitis.
Proper dental care for anyone with diabetes includes:
- Keeping your regular dental appointments and check-ups. This will make sure that you get a professional dental cleaning to help support healthy oral care habits and allow our dentist to ensure that no problems are brewing.
- Brushing your teeth twice a day or after each meal. Since individuals with diabetes are more prone to cavities, it's important to keep your teeth as clean as possible.
- Flossing your teeth once a day. Don’t let any food remain lodged between teeth since this can easily cause tartar, cavities and tooth decay or infection.
- Making sure your dentist is aware that you have diabetes. Your dentist needs to be aware of the condition to ensure proper preventative measures are being applied.
- Learning the signs of early gum disease (gingivitis). This will help so that your are aware of what problem signs look like and can review yourself between dental visits.
- Refraining from smoking. Smoking and diabetes are just a BIG no, no!
Managing your diabetes for many patients is tough in the beginning, but eventually most patients get a hang of it. It is a lifetime commitment for managing your sugar levels and practicing proper dental care. We promise that your efforts will be rewarded with lifelong healthy teeth and gums.
Schedule an appointment today with our dentist in Huntington Beach ... Call (714) 848-4247
Location: 18652 Florida St #300, Huntington Beach, CA 92648
Back to articles