Am I a good candidate for Dental Implants?
Dental Implants Huntington Beach – Sea Cliff Dental
Dental implants are the next best thing to having natural teeth. In the event that you are missing any. Dental implants can replace one tooth or even several teeth. However, many patients will ask about what is needed to get a dental implant. We suggest scheduling a consultation for a full exam to be sure that dental implants are right for you. In the meantime, here are some general qualities that are needed in order to get dental implants:
Some additional conditions that interfere with dental implants include:
- Be in good general and oral health: Adequate bone strength and structure is needed in order to support dental implants. Additionally, the best dental implant candidates have healthy gum tissue and are free of periodontal disease.
- Have one of more missing teeth: This is self-explanatory. In order to get a dental implant the entire tooth or teeth have to have been extracted in order to create the space needed for the dental implant.
- Be a non-smoker: Even though smoking does not immediately disqualify you as a candidate for dental implants, it does mean that you will need to correct the problem before proceeding with the dental implant procedure.
- Not be taking medications that interfere with bone growth: Since the dental implants are fused with the bone over time, any medication that inhibit bone growth will work against this process. Therefore, you cannot be taking any medication that does this (such as Fozamax).
- Uncontrolled Diabetes
- Chemotherapy or Radiation Therapy (Cancer Treatment)
- Severe cardiovascular problems
- Blood or Bone Dyscrasia
We do encourage that you speak with our Huntington Beach dentist to discuss the possibilities as to whether or not dental implants are right for you even if you have the conditions mentioned above. Dental implants allow you be on your way to having a more youthful, natural-looking smile. Call us today at (714) 848-4247.
"A smile is always in style."